During my recent talks I spoke about the importance of spiritual reading. I also offered to email a list of ten books to anyone who was looking for some direction in this area. This is a list of books that have changed my life. I love books. I love reading them. I love writing them. I love just holding a good book.
A spiritual director has the opportunity and the privilege to suggest books specifically to suit a persons place in the journey. In this case, I do not have that luxury and have tried to put together a list for a very large group of people at varying places in the journey. The criteria I have used in putting this list together are as follows.
I have tried to suggest books that would:
1. Renew our spiritual orientation by reminding us that we are each called to become the-best-version-of-ourselves.
2. Give us the practical tools to grow in the spiritual life.
3. Awaken our spiritual senses and inspire us to focus more of our time and efforts on the spiritual life.
The list is not perfect, but these are great books. Please try not to judge the list.
On a practical note, I would suggest reading them in the order presented below. I have not ranked them in order of preference, but rather, in the order I feel would be most beneficial to the reader. When I first wrote this list I assumed that the reader had already read "The Rhythm of Life" and "Rediscover Catholicism"... so if you have not already... I suggest you start with these to help you understand the context in which I am recommending these other titles.
Remember, fifteen minutes of good spiritual reading a day... not two hours today and none for two weeks... OUR LIVES CHANGE WHEN OUR HABITS CHANGE.
1. JESUS SHOCK by Peter Kreeft
2. LET YOUR LIFE SPEAK by Parker Palmer
3. MADE FOR MORE by Curtis Maritn
4. AS A MAN THINKETH by James Allen
5. IN HIS SPIRIT by Richard Hauser, S.J.
6. CONFESSIONS OF A MEGA CHURCH PASTOR by Allen Hunt
7. THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS by C. S. Lewis
8. MAN'S SEARCH FOR MEANING by Victor Frankl
9. CELEBRATION OF DISCIPLINE by Richard J. Foster
10. ABANDONMENT TO DIVINE PROVIDENCE by Jean-Pierre De Caussade
Many of these titles are available for free (s+h not included) at DynamicCatholic.com.
Finally, before you begin reading, it may be helpful to go back and read the chapter on spiritual reading in Rediscover Catholicism... even if you are not Catholic I hope it will be fruitful to your understanding of Spiritual Reading as one of the great intellectual and spiritual traditions of Christianity.
May God bless you with a prayerful spirit, a peaceful heart, and a mind that yearns for truth,
Founder of Dynamic Catholic
ADDED NOTE: All recommended books can be found at www.DynamicCatholic.com After Easter, we will begin book clubs for those interested in reading Rediscovering Catholicism. Online and inperson study groups will be made available. Please comment below or contact Steve and Ann for more information. 586-9243 extention 210 or firstname.lastname@example.org